Hallie and Micah both have been asking a ton of questions about Papa Bruce in the last week. They want to know why his legs don't work, why he doesn't walk, why his fingers are like that (2 bent at the top knuckle and missing half on 2 fingers), why his arm doesn't work, etc. I've decided that explaining a disability and disease to a 4 year old is difficult. It's hard to explain it in a way that satisfies their curiosity and makes sense to inquisitive minds. I think an understanding will come with time and I will continue to answer their questions in a way that I hope makes sense to them.
But I'm glad that I can continue to share things that he used to do and that they understand how great papa is. So I will keep telling them stories about camping and wrestling with papa, that he drove semi-trucks and was a firefighter, that he liked to hike and that he used to walk. And I hope that as they grow up they will enjoy stories of papa just as I do and I will continue to let papa turn on movies for the kids as often as he would like and I will make sure he has a good supply of m&m's so he can continue to sneak them treats even if they haven't finished their dinner because papa is fun and I want them to know him as such.
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Papa Bruce
Posted by Stacey at 7:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i wish i had had someone to sneak me M&Ms even when I hadn't finished my dinner!! :)
Papa is a legend...way to convince them of that.
Post a Comment