Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Legacy

The DeVries Family

My grandparents recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Can you believe that! 60 years! Nowdays, you don't hear of these things very often. My grandparents were truly best friends- they seemed to thrive off of serving each other. My grandma always had food prepared for my grandpa and grandpa was always willing to do whatever he could to provide for his family and make sure the house was in excellent working condition for my grandma. Simple things, but what a profound statement of love they make. My grandma said of my grandpa this last week, that he was always gentle with her and was always there to help her with any problem she had.

What a legacy my grandparents have built in their 60 years of marriage. 8 children, all married to their original spouses with the exception of my aunt who's dear husband, uncle Bill, passed away several years ago. 20 grandchildren, and 17 great grandchildren with 3 more on the way (my niece :) + another set of twins!) I can honestly say I absolutely LOVE spending time with my family. Some of my fondest memories are with my family from camping on the farm in Sumas, Sunday get-togethers in Seattle after church, to simple gatherings at the clubhouse in Mt. Vernon. They are a special memories which I cherish and all leave me looking forward to the many get-togthers that are to come.

The Grandkids
Grandkids and spouses

The Great Grandkids

4 comments:

Peggy said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandfather. I'm sorry for your loss. Much love, Peggy
PS WOW the babies are getting big!

Mandy said...

I've been so behind in my blogging! It was fun to catch up on yours tonight. I always love all the pictures (well, and the words too)! I always think it's so cool when people celebrate anniversaries that span decades. Sounds like you had fun with all the family. I'm sorry we couldn't find your shirts in Utah! Tell those kids of yours to stop growing up so fast! They'll be walking next time we see you!

Lisa Christine said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures. This is what life's all about...family :)

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures. What a treasure to have everyone all together.