Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reality.

Reality is my mom left yesterday...

She was my last tie to family and home. I have greatly enjoyed living so close to her the last couple years. It has been so nice to spend so much time with her, she has truly become one of my best friends.

I was hanging on to that last tie to get me through and when she left, well let's just say yesterday wasn't exactly the happiest day I've had in awhile. I'm coming out of it little by little, and don't get me wrong I am happy to be here for 2 big reasons, to explore the area and all it's treasures and to be here with our little family. It will be so good for us to grow as a family. But boy is it out of the comfort zone! Not knowing anyone, not knowing the area, looking out my window at the freeway, the metro, and skyscrapers- way different then what I'm used to! And to top that all off, people are different here. I realize I haven't been here a full week yet, but using my quick judgement- people aren't as friendly as they are on the West Coast. I fully realize that may totally change once we get to know people, but on a day to day stranger basis- not as friendly here.

And the fast food/service WOW! weird. First of all you can't understand half the people so you say yes and hope you're saying yes to something you really wanted! And when they give you your food or whatever, most places say thanks, or have a good day, or there you go, or do you want ketchup with that... or something to let you know you've got all your food and you're all done. SOMETHING! It's weird, when you get to a window, they'll tell you the amount while hardly glancing at you, give you your product and then... NOTHING!!! absolutely nothing, they nonchalantly kinda walk away so you stand there waiting... am I done now? did I get all my food? WEIRD! So you leave with the only interaction being someone barely mumbling out your total. Again- WEIRD!

And while I'm on a rant... what about the road systems/signs! Talk about CONFUSING!!! There are seriously at least 3 names for every street, and those names can change at any random point they feel like. So really when you need to turn somewhere you have to be looking for 3 different names or you may miss the street you were supposed to take! And then turning around- ha! Half the time you can't! There's a divider or you turn around to go the way you came and it totally takes you another way! Oh and for example my directions to Ty's work told me to take Mill Rd, which ok simple just follow Mill Rd, but no not so simple they don't tell you that you have to take a left at the stop light to stay on Mill Rd and of course there are no street signs to tell you which road you are on, so instead you follow the Rd you are on, which should continue to be Mill Rd right? cause you haven't made any turns, right!?! NOPE! It takes you onto a dead end... which is actually a good case scenario, cause then you don't get entirely lost! Long story short... the road systems here make absolutely NO SENSE!!!!!! Maybe that's why people take the metro... that and absolutely no parking. Weird.


So I think I've finally got all the negativity out, so hopefully tomorrow I'll try to fill you in on some more of the positives about being here :)

7 comments:

Mandy said...

You are not imagining things. My sister says all of the same exact things about the area. She always had to have some very good maps in her car and really just mapquested everywhere she went for like the first year or so. She says people are definitely not as friendly, especially all of the service people. No one asking if you need help when you go into a store, stuff like that. Very weird. And traffic. My goodness, she says you have to plan your whole life around traffic or else you could waste your whole day just trying to run a single errand. I would think all of this would be hard to get used to.

But, on the upside, she gets to go see and do so many cool things. I would LOVE to spend some time there and get to see all of the museums, monuments, and cool historical sights nearby. And how fun that you get to have this adventure with your family! We are patiently waiting for pictures of your new place and what you guys are doing.

Oh, and we are totally planning to take a trip out there sometime before May! Hope you guys are still there when we come, that would be so fun!

Meagan said...

Hang in there. I think moving is hard. Especially to a completely new place. Maybe there is a Gymboree or Library close by that you can take the kiddos to for play groups or story times? Might help you to meet other moms too...who hopefully are a bit more friendly than the other people there. :) Totally agree with Mandy about Mapquest...that and a road map in your car. Oh, and LOTS of patience and good music in your car for when you do get stuck in traffic...

Jen said...

You are just in a big city. People in big cities just have a different paced lifestyle. I hope it gets better for you soon. When you go to church on Sunday you might want to ask someone if they will take you on a tour and show you where stuff is and maybe explain the street systems. I had someone do that for me (even though the town we lived in was only 90,000). I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to help you. We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I have the same problems here!!! I had to get a GPS in the car to help me find my way. It has been the best purchase I ever made. :-) I love that thing. And you are right...people are so not friendly here.
Also when we go through drive thru windows, Bret makes me talk to the people because he can never understand them. He says that I speak ebonics so I understand them better???? Anyway, you are not imagining that either!

Try to have fun and find a twin group. Ours here is pretty fun and it gets you connected with other moms who are a bit more "normal". Good luck!

Peggy said...

Things will get better. Glad you all made it safe and sound. My love to you all...hugs and kisses too.

Alisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alisa said...

Yes, we have had the same impression about people from the East vs West (when we've met them in our store). I think it's not that they mean to be unfriendly, it's just that they are impersonal, UNTIL they get to know you. I'm sure you'll have a much better experience once you get to know a few people! I hope the ward is GREAT tomorrow! Good luck, and don't worry...you WILL find friends, and you WILL enjoy living there. You have an awesome opportunity to grow as a family!

P.S. Find a cheap GPS...you won't regret it!